Mr. Gopal Kumar Johari, Head
Guru Ramdas School of Planning,
Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar-143005
Tel: 0183-2258802-09, Extn. 3250
Fax: 0183-2258819, 20 Mobile : 91 9356002636
Established in 1972 and working with the motto “SHAPING SPACES TO SHAPE FUTURES”, the School is one of the premier institutions in North-West India to impart education and training in the field of Urban, Regional and Infrastructure Planning. The prime concerns of Guru Ramdas School of Planning are:
- To generate trained manpower for the Region in particular and the country in general for planning and managing human settlements.
- To carry out research, consultancy and build up database in various aspects of spatial planning.
More than 500 graduates of School are serving and practicing at different positions in the country and abroad. Presently, there are ten Chief Town Planners in various States of India who are alumni of this School. The courses of the School are recognized by AICTE, UGC and ITPI, New Delhi. The School offers following courses:
Tech. (Urban & Regional Planning)
The course is of 4 years (8 semesters) duration for the students with greater emphasis on planning and design of human settlements with holistic approach. This includes various dimensions of settlement planning pertaining to landuse, social, economic, housing, traffic & transportation, heritage & conservation, legislation, development management, landscape, etc. The students are required to derive out the problems & issues related to the said aspects and accordingly suggest spatial as well as non-spatial solutions.
40 (Gen: 20, SC/ST: 10, BC: 2, RA: 3, Others: 5)
Atleast 50% marks in aggregate in 10+2 or its equivalent with mathematics and english as subjects of examination.
As per University rules
Tech. (Urban Planning)
At post graduation level the course, which is of 2 years (4 semesters) duration, goes merely planning, design or human settlements and emphasizes on policy, management and research. The multi-disciplinary approach focuses on intricacies of urban development & management through understanding of various components of urban areas of various sizes, i.e., towns, cities, metropolises and preparing plans and policy guidelines for future.
23 (Gen: 5, SC/ST: 2, BC: 1, RA: 1, Others: 1, Sponsored: 5,
Gate Qualified: 8)
At least 50% marks in B. Tech (U.R.P.)/ B. Arch/ B. E. (Civil) or M.A. Geography/Sociology/Economics or equivalent. In service sponsored candidate must have at least three years working experience under a qualified town planner in addition to the eligibility qualification.
As per University rules
Master in Planning (Infrastructure)
This course is of 2 years (4 semesters) duration. Specialization in infrastructure planning will train the students in planning, development and management of infrastructure at urban, regional and rural levels. Being a multi-disciplinary course, an integrated approach towards spatial planning, economics and management of infrastructure is focused. The students learn about infrastructural provisions related to physical, socio-economic, industrial, transportation, SEZ and mega projects. Specific emphasis has been on planning and design of infrastructure, preparation of detailed project reports (DPR) and strategies & policies for development and management of infrastructure at various levels.
20 (Gen:8, SC/ST:3, BC:1, RA:1, Sponsored:5, Others:2)
B. Tech. (U.R.P.)/ B.Arch./B. E.(Civil)/Masters of Urban & Regional Planning/M. A. in Geography/Sociology/Economics/ other equivalent courses with at least 50% marks in aggregate. Sponsored candidate shall have to furnish the proof of sponsorship at the time of admission.
As per University rules
The Department also offers facilities for research in planning areas leading to Ph.D. degrees.
The above courses have market oriented curriculums which are comparable with other Planning Schools in the country. The course curriculums include:
- Theory Subjects; Basic, core and advanced /specialized subjects/Pre-Ph.D. courses/Interdisciplinary courses at U.G. level & P.G. level.
- Studio Exercises; site plans, perspective/ development plans of urban centers and regional plans.
- Field Visits; for data collection and area assimilation.
- Educational Tour; To understand the structure and projects undertaken by the public and private planning organizations.
- Internship; Exposure to work practices in the offices and undertaking/review of current projects.
- Dissertation; Preparation of site plan with implementation strategies covering administrative, legal and financial aspects.
- M. Tech (U.P.) & Master in Planning (Infrastructure) Thesis; Detailed studies and the analytical findings leading to recommendations/development strategies based on the selected field.
The School is well equipped with the required laboratories having latest instruments.
- Department Library.
- CAD & GIS Lab.
- Surveying Lab.
- Photography Lab.
- Map & Model Making Lab.
OF THE SCHOOL
- Professional & Well trained faculty.
- Faculty interactions with national/international institutes.
- Institutional membership of the School with National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) & Indian Society of Technical Education (ISTE), I.T.P.I., New Delhi, I.N.T.A.C.H., New Delhi.
- Liaison with government as well as number of private sector planning organizations.
- Market oriented curriculum
ALUMNI AND PLACEMENT INFORMATION
The School boasts of Illustrious Alumni who are carving a niche for themselves in public and private sector organizations both in India and abroad. The graduates of the School are successfully working in the following organizations.
- Town & County Planning Departments
Development Authorities i.e. D.D.A., H.U.D.A., P.U.D.A., Jaipur Development Authority, Amritsar Development Authority etc.
- Industrial Development Corporations i.e. H.S.I.I.D.C., P.I.D.B., Punjab Small Scale Industries & Export Corporation, Chandigarh, etc.
- Housing Boards
- State & Central Pollution Control Boards i.e. Punjab Pollution Control Board, Central Pollution Control Board, New Delhi
- Municipal Corporations and Improvement Trusts
- N. G. O. i.e. P.R.I.A., I.N.T.A.C.H. etc.
- U.N. Organizations
- Tourism Departments of various States i.e. Madhya Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation, Andhra Tourism Department, etc.
- Chandigarh Administration, U.T. Chandigarh
- National Capital Regional Planning Board (NCRPB)
- National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi
- Ministry of Rural Development Rajasthan
- Teaching faculty in various Schools of Planning in India
- Ansals Group
- Boston Consulting Group
- C B Richard Ellis Group, Inc.
- Colliers International
- Consulting Engineering Services (CES)
- Cushman & Wakefield
- Delhi Lease & Finance (DLF)
- Design and Development Forum
- Engineers India Limited (EIL)
- Feedback Ventures
- India Infrastructure
- Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd. (IL&FS)
- International Consultant Technocrats
- Jones Long Lasalle & Meghraj
- Knight Frank Newmark Global
- Lee Associates South Asia Ltd.
- Omaxe Group
- Operation Research Group (ORG)
- PDCOR Ltd.
- Price Waterhouse Cooper
- Punjab Remote Sensing Centre
- Rail India Technical & Economic Services
- Reliance Group
- I.R.T.E., New Delhi
- Green C India P Ltd., Ghaziabad
- YASHI Consultants, Jaipur
- Town & County Planning Departments
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
- Tata Energy research Institutes (TERI)
- Voyants Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
- Wilbur Smith Associates
- Freelance consultants/ Entrepreneurs
- Town Planning Consultants, U.K.
- Computer Consultant, Canada.
- Community Planner, Canada.
- Consultant 3-D Animation, Canada.
- Consultant Planner, California, U.S.A.
- GIS Consultants, U.S.A.
- Real Estate Planner, U.S.A.
- Planning Consultant, U.S.A.
- Consultants, U.S.A.
- Computer Consultants, U.K., U.S.A., Canada.
- Info Terror, U.K.
- Council Planners in various States as well as Countries.
The School organizes its alumni meet each year. For activities of the alumni visit www.gnduaa.org.
The Students have been participating in NOSPLAN (National Organisation of Students of Planning) since its inception in 1993. The NOSPLAN 2006 was hosted by the School.
Co-Curricular Activities at University Level
The students of the School are active participants in extra curricular events at the University, regional and national levels. It is the platform for the interaction of students from all Schools of Planning in India.
The School imparts consultancy services in Urban and Regional Planning projects on spatial, housing, transportation, environmental, infrastructure and transportation, regional and rural planning concerns to the State Governments, Urban Local Bodies and Private Enterprises. To name a few following are the areas of concern:
- City Development Plans
- Zonal Development Plans
- Regional and Block Development Plans
- Environment Improvement Programmes
- Transportation Studies and Solutions
- Infrastructure Planning and Management
- Planning and Design of Residential, Commercial and Other Areas
- Redevelopment, Conservation of Heritage and Urban Rehabilitations Studies
- Advise to State and Local Governments on Different Development Policies and Strategies.
- Town Planning Capacity building Programmes.